Is greater realism leading to more credible paths forward?
The six key themes in this paper, listed below, are intended to create a framework to at least start to address the challenges:
- Hydrogen is in competition with other decarbonisation alternatives.
- The business case for clean hydrogen relies on government policy to drive decarbonisation.
- It is essential to understand emissions associated with potential hydrogen investments.
- Hydrogen investments need to consider the full value chain and its geopolitics.
- Transport of hydrogen is expensive and so should be minimised.
- Storage of hydrogen is an essential part of the value chain and requires more focus.
After considering each of these key themes in turn, the paper will draw some conclusions and suggest how to build on the current growing realism to chart a reasonable path forward.